If it wasn't for dear, dear Calvin...


Do you remember the lines, 'What is this life if full of care, We have no time to stand and stare...'? Chances are, most of us do and the thought bubble coming up in everyone's head says, 'Yeah, right. But where's the time?' Well, my fellow sufferers of the urban-work-at-home-mom-choc-a-bloc-busy-busy life, there's one panacea of troubles I could suggest.

Meet Calvin from 'Calvin and Hobbes', oh! you couldn't find another darling to put all your worries and frustrations to rest (just count on his parents, they'll handle it just fine). Over the years, of reading his strips I have now graduated to books of him and every night before going to bed I treat myself to a little dose of him and I sleep with a smile that takes care of a pleasant morning the next day. This nightcap includes my husband as well while our very own 'Calvin incarnate' sleeps like an angel.

Not to forget, his philosophies are mind-numbingly thought provocative. I bet you'll be thinking about it for a long period of time. Take my suggestion, reach out to Calvin and reach out to a life we miss every day in the hustle and bustle of grown-up practicality.

Now, of course, a little teaser, a little temptation goes a long way to ensure that suggestions are followed. So, here you are, Wisdom Bites from Calvin and Hobbes:

I like maxims that don't encourage behavior modification.

Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words.

That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information

Calvin: I'm a genius, but I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes: What's misunderstood about you? 
Calvin: Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Why isn't my life like a situation comedy? Why don't I have a bunch of friends with nothing better to do but drop by and instigate wacky adventures? Why aren't my conversations peppered with spontaneous witticisms? Why don't my friends demonstrate heartfelt concern for my well being when I have problems? ...I gotta get my life some writers.

Calvin: I'm a simple man, Hobbes. 
Hobbes: You? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear-powered car that could turn into a jet with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles! 
Calvin: I'm a simple man with complex tastes.

Calvin: I'm not going to do my maths homework. Look at these unsolved problems. Here's a number in mortal combat with another. One of them is going to get subtracted. But why? What will be left of him? If I answered these, it would kill the suspense. It would resolve the conflict and turn intriguing possibilities into boring old facts.
Hobbes: I never really thought about the literary possibilities of maths. 
Calvin: I prefer to savour the mystery.

Susie: You'd get a good grade without doing any work. 
Calvin: So? 
Susie: It's wrong to get rewards you haven't earned.
Calvin: I've never heard of anyone who couldn't live with that.

Dear Santa. Why is your operation located at the North Pole? I'm guessing cheap elf labour, lower environmental standards, and tax breaks. Is this really the example you want to set for us impressionable kids? ...My plan is to put him on the defensive before he considers how good I've been.

Hobbes: What are you doing? 
Calvin: Being cool. 
Hobbes: You look more like you're bored. 
Calvin: The world bores you when you're cool.

In hindsight, after our reading session, we worriedly look at our sleeping child and pray to all the Gods out there that dear Calvin's antics remain limited to the books we read. So yeah, praying before bed, check!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winters and Work

My love of jotting down lines

Moments with her...