This Women's Day…

On the night of 7th March, my brain was furiously thinking and calculating possible scenarios. You see, the next day was Women's Day and my office had a beautiful tradition of  a gathering of female employees, they give us gifts, too. However, we are also asked to dress ethnic, or let's say, traditional. Therefore, this particular year 8th March being a Friday I had a hard time rewiring my brain to not think... DENIM! Also, it needed a lot of prep for a saree eventuality, I mean there's the eligibility criteria like waxed arms, proper accessories, right sandals, and of course shampooed hair to let it down. Phew! So much bother we women deal with just to dress up in a certain way. 

Seeing this as his cue, my husband chimed in, 'Why bother... it's your day, just wear whatever you feel like.' 

I was empowered, yes, the cliche being my husband's enlightening statement. Really, so much fuss on a day that's entitled to me... in fact all my term limits were my own constructs. I heard the theme of 'Chariots of Fire' in the background and got ready for office, in just about any bleeding thing I had a mind of wearing.

                                  

And here's something for all those women I grew up with, and the women I am and was surrounded with... some lines which touched me.

Louise Otto - The history of all times, and of today especially, teaches that... women will be forgotten if they forget to think about themselves.

Charlotte Whitton - Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult.

Margaret Thatcher - In politics if you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman.

Nadia Boulanger [on becoming the first woman to conduct the Boston Symphony Orchestra] I've been a woman for a little over 50 years and have gotten over my initial astonishment. As for conducting an orchestra, that's a job where I don't think sex plays much part.

I just couldn’t part without a touch of humour…

Three men were hiking through a forest when they came upon a large raging, violent river. Needing to get to the other side, the first man prayed: 'God, please give me the strength to cross the river’. Poof! God gave him big arms and strong legs... and he was able to swim across in about 2 hours, having almost drowned twice. 
After witnessing that, the second man prayed: 'God, please give me strength and the tools to cross the river' Poof! God gave him a rowboat and strong arms and strong legs... and he was able to row across in about an hour after almost capsising once. 
Seeing what happened to the first two men, the third man prayed: 'God, please give me the strength, the tools and the intelligence to cross the river' Poof! HE WAS TURNED INTO A WOMAN! She checked the map, hiked one hundred yards upstream... and walked across the bridge. 

MORAL: Guys, if at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you!
Hope you had a wonderful Woman's Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Green, Kostova, Satrapi and Me *BFF*

If it wasn't for dear, dear Calvin...